Friday, January 14, 2011

Wacky Noodles!


WACKY NOODLES!!


My 3rd-5th grade students were introduced to a new unit this week. “Wacky Noodles” or you may know them as pool noodles, which I am sure you all have played with in a swimming pool! These bright colored noodles will put a smile on any students face! If you are wondering how this fits into our curriculum and standards think ‘manipulating an object by using a long-handled implement’. Of course my first concern is safety. Luckily the noodles are very light, but I do take the time to talk about what behavior I expect from my students when using them. We began with basic skills using the noodles and moved to more challenging and fun games. I got some of my ideas from a book called, “Chicken and Noodle Games” (Byl, Baldauf, Doyle, and Raithy).

I have a couple of boxes of noodles, but only needed to use one box, which is enough for one class. I am thinking about taking the other box and cutting the noodles into different sizes as the book has many ideas using different lengths (small, medium, and large).

No comments:

Post a Comment